[Artemisia] Kingdom EQ/Archery Championships - Updates

Allen Hall dukealan at q.com
Fri Oct 9 14:22:44 CDT 2009

Hello All,

A couple of updates on the Kingdom EQ/Archery/Thrown Weapons Championships this weekend.  First, the weather.  Local news is calling for about 43 degrees, partly cloudy, and a slight possibility of occasional spits of rain (but nothing hard).  Temps at night are mid-20's.

The Reeve/Troll will be set up in the farm house, so check in there.  Parking will be in the pasture along on the south end of the field.

A reminder for those who aren't all that familiar with horses.  First, the horse area will be the entire south field, so folks could be riding anywhere in that area.  Next, don't run up to a horse flapping your arms and goofy stuff like that.  A horse has 2 brain cells.  One cell says "eat", the other brain cell says "run".  Sometimes they use both brain cells together...so if you spook a horse, he'll want to get away, RIGHT NOW, and doesn't much care what's in his way, or what his riders wants to do.

Don't walk up directly behind a horse, because they don't see all that well behind them.  Besides just running, sometimes they'll kick, then run.  Approach a horse from the front or side, and talk to the horse to let him know you're there.

Finally, ASK the rider to approach and/or pet the horse.  Typically, they'll be fine with it, and the horse likes attention (especially if the horse thinks he'll get something to eat out of the deal....remember that first brain cell).

With proper respect, horses are just great to be around, and can be a partner in your fun.  We'll be really happy to educate people on horses who wish to learn.  We'll have some time after the EQ competition to do some education and training.  And if it's been a long time since you've been in the saddle, we can help fix that.

If you have any questions, I'll be monitoring e-mail until early Saturday morning.  Or you can call, 208.524.1036

Alan