[Artemisia] Gaming Books for Sale

Bruce Padget bapadget at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 11:39:47 CDT 2009

For various reasons, I've pulled back considerably from participation
in the Society.  Thus, my library has several books that are no longer
of much use to me.  Please forward to anyone who might find this
material of interest.

Charles Cotton, _The Compleat Gamester_ (1674).  Hardcover, in
slipcase.  It's showing signs of age.  Asking $20.

_Francis Willughby's Book of Games_.  This is the great naturalist's
unfinished encyclopedia of tabletop games, sports, and pastimes,
dating from the 1660's.  This 2003 edition is the only published
edition of Willughby's _Volume of Plaies_, and it includes a facsimile
of Willughby's notes and drawings, and a phenomenal glossary and index
that pull information from many early gaming sources.  Hardcover, very
good condition.  Asking $80.

Gerolamo Cardano's _Book of Games of Chance_, (written circa 1560,
published 1663) which includes a wonderful discussion of cheats and
what may be the earliest systematic discussion of probability.
Hardcover, showing signs of age.  Asking $20.

For more information, please contact me offlist at bapadget at gmail.com.

Regards,
Niccolo
bapadget at gmail.com