[Artemisia] Teen Track for Collegium

Dawn Tavares dtavares1 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 23 11:58:59 CDT 2009

Master Braden, the autocrat for November's Collegium, has asked me to put

together a Youth track of classes. I feel that the Youth Program as a

whole has a good grip on managing the little kids; now it's time to address the

older ones. To that end I've been asking the local teens what they'd like to

learn. I'm also brainstorming classes that would appeal to the teen psyche.

Naturally I'm looking for teachers.

I've already received a request for Italian hair taping, French braiding, and other

cool ways girls can wear their hair. (Ever notice that teens don't like wearing

veils or hats unless it's bitterly cold?)

I myself will be teaching Clothes, Cleanliness, & Courtliness: How To Impress SCA Girls
 - John the Rat has volunteered to be my "visual aide" for teaching adolescent boys
the basics of civilized social interactions. ;)

I have instructors lined up to teach flattering yet appropriate garb for adolescent girls,
and the rules and limits of flirting -- and the ladies of the Southern Artemisia sewing list are
assembling A Cunning Plan(tm) to teach teens to sew their own(!) garb.  >:)

Here's a baker's dozen of my ideas:

Skin Care Then & Now – history of white lead & other noxious substances used for

cosmetics & the treatment of acne, plus instruction on healthy ways to

maintain your skin (sunscreen use, gentle washing, moisturizing, etc.).

History of Shaving or Hair Care – the same idea as skin care. Might be very

illuminating to show how the technique of shaving with a straight razor differs

from using today's safety razors.

Make Your Own Period Perfume or After Shave – would this be less messy and

time-consuming than making your own soap? (I'm not an organic chemist by any

definition.)

Improve Your Grades with SCA Research Techniques – how the process of writing

documentation applies to mundane term papers & science experiments

Building Your Identity thru Persona Development – most SCA kids start out

wearing the kinds of clothes their parents do, or generic looks. How to

establish your personality & independence by looking at historical cultures.

Noble Deportment – How to wear & move in historic clothing without feeling

self-conscious. (Duchess Caryn has taught a similar class on ladies' gowns.)
Why boys don't have to be scared of wearing "tights."

Analysis of A Knight's Tale (or other medievaloid movie) – what's historic,

what's Hollywood, and how to tell the difference. Probably best if you can pause

the video for discussion points.

Garb at Ten paces – how to pull together an acceptable look from thrift-shop finds.

My Armor Doesn't Fit Anymore! - styles and techniques for protecting bodies
that are still changing shape.

The Manly Art of Embroidery/Spinning/Lacemaking - nothing gets teenaged boys to
to step out of stereotypical gender roles like trying to learn a skill taught by an
alpha male.  ;)

Real Women Hit Back! - historical female warriors & SCA fighting females.

Would be seriously cool to have rapier & rattan team-teaching.

Caffeine for the Clueless - moving from soda to coffee is still one of those little
rites of passage for teens. How to "drink" responsibly and brew a really good pot.

SCA for the Starving Student - how to attend events and build your kit when
you're working part-time at minimum wage.

Any other suggestions? Any specific requests from the teens in your neck of the

woods? Tell me!

Feel free to copy this message with my contact info to any other lists & people
that may be interested.

Aurora de Portugal

Abbess of Adolescent Angst
(and Kingdom Youth Officer)