[Artemisia] Fwd: [Announcements] Membership Fees

Jackman-Brink, Julia Julia.Jackman-Brink at mso.umt.edu
Thu Dec 2 19:07:54 CST 2010

I guess I am going to play devil's advocate, since I have similar fish in other organizational ponds. Comparatively, the SCA is dead cheap for what is covered. Try being a member of a professional organization (ie profession oriented, like Geological Society of America, etc.) Memberships for those often START over $100. And that's IF you are a student. If you want the publications, you add another $50-100.

I do agree with HE Gefjon in that there has to be more parity between individuals and families, as there are a lot of people being carried. There should also be am electronic publication option in addition to a non-publication option for those who don't really want it.

Realistically there comes a time where it comes down to cutting services or paying more for those services. One of my subscriptions went to a bi-annual publication (as opposed to monthly) to avoid raising their membership rates. Looks like the SCA is now at that decision point.  There's never going to be a happy medium when dealing with money, publication, insurance, and all the details...it's always a battle. The SCA is just catching up to the rest of the pack.

Juliana