[Artemisia] Rising Prices was Membership Fees

Allen Hall dukealan at q.com
Mon Dec 6 12:44:43 CST 2010

Greetings Luveday,

Some interesting observations.

I think it's fair to say that the immutable laws of supply and demand have always had an effect on any economy.  And likely always will.

The plague did indeed change the situation of the survivors.  Labor costs went WAY up, in spite of the governments/Crown's efforts to keep them at pre-1348 levels.  Finally, people were in a better position, because of scarcity to "demand" and receive higher wages.  The "middle class" was born from the plague.  Additionally, in the years following the plague, the new merchant class had much more available money, and began to rival the gentle class in their affluence and ability to display it.  Some of the chroniclers lament this new "redistribution of wealth" via the market.

The Paston family letters from the 15th C. are a very good display of this in action.  The book "Blood and Roses" lays this out very clearly.  A farmer, Clement Paston, in the 14th century is a commoner farmer.  He saves his money, works hard, buys more land.  He makes more produce from the land to sell, and as the land now is his, and he has no lord over it, he gets to keep his land's bounty.  He sends his son to law school, son does extremely well, marries a minor gentle class girl (after working hard, saving money and buying land and manors), and they have boys who do the same.  From Clement in the late 14th c. working on the land with a plow, to his son in the early 15th c. working at the bar in Westminster.  A perfect example of the ability of people to escape their "estate" and move upward.

For those interested in the time of great change (one of the reasons I love the 14th century), another good book is "Time Travelers Guide to Medieval England".  Mistress Annys gifted me with this book, and it is a treasure!!!  Thanks again Annys!

Unfortunately, governments debasing their currency is just as medieval as it is modern (QE2 is nothing more than melting down coins, adding base metal and recasting them for re-issue, but with less silver/gold in them).  Do you recall seeing movies where someone bit a coin before accepting it?  That was to check it's purity.  Another thing that was illegal, but common was "coin shaving".  Literally, a person would use their knife to shave a little bit off the edges of coins, collect the precious metal shavings, then melt them into something usable as money.

Luveday struck the nail on the head however in her observation that "then and now" aren't all that different.  Very interesting conversation!

Alan