[Artemisia] period music

rayzentz at aim.com rayzentz at aim.com
Fri Feb 5 11:14:58 CST 2010

I can't claim much knowledge of period vibrato use, because it has never been something I have spent much time researching, so I yield to others whose knowledge of useage is better. However, even in the 20th century, there are differences in vibrato and when and how it is used. Different musical styles utilize vibrato in different ways.  Barbershop style, for instance uses no vibrato at all. This is vital, because the tight harmony, and the resulting overtones, would not be possible if the singers used vibrato. Most vocal jazz uses vibrato in the same way Master Braden describes, as an ornament, largely at the end or high points of phrases. Opera, on the other hand, makes great use of vibrato, and most often the wider variety (1/2 tone to whole tone). There are reasons for this in additiona to stylistic preference, mainly having to do with vocal health and endurance.

Personally, I teach students versatility... the ability to use vibrato when and where they choose. Many singers today are trained only one way, and cannot move from style to style effectively. As far as I am concerned, that is a severe limit for a vocalist.

I suspect, as has been illustrated already, that there were those in period who had their preferences regarding vibrato, as there are today, and this was reflected in their writing and teaching. Furthermore, there were also likely regional differences in how vibrato was used in period, as there are today.

The research, and debate, will probably never end, or be fully resolved. At least until we can send Orwell's Time Traveller back to record actual singing for us.

Padruig

Dr. Raymond Zentz

It is better to die a free man, than to live, a slave.