[Artemisia] Need tanning help!!

rcfaevans at comcast.net rcfaevans at comcast.net
Fri Feb 5 14:40:51 CST 2010

In my younger days, I tanned many hides.  My suggestion is to take it to a tannery.  When learning, it is best to start small until you get the technique down.  If you insist on doing this:

You will need to buy tanic acid.  Do not attempt a brain tanning for something this large!

Scrap ALL of the fat, blood and fur off the hide using a very, very sharp convex blade knife.  You will need to sharpen the blade often in this process.

Mix a thick poultice of tanic acid and paint the hide with it.  Both sides.

Roll the hide up.

Thin the remaining tanic acid to liquid in a vat that will hold the hide.

Put the hide in the vat

I can't remember how long it needs to tan, but you can look on the internet.  Several weeks.

Make sure you move the hide around daily to ensure no part gets dry and it tans evenly.

Once fully tanned, unroll the hide, scrape and clean off the acid, and you are done.

Oh, by the way: This really smells bad!

Have fun,

Ryryd