[Artemisia] Lunch at Collegium

Jenn Rhoades lady_flora at msn.com
Tue Feb 16 14:28:34 CST 2010

Please pardon the band width.

SOUTHERN REGIONAL COLLEGIUM – “EXTENSION SERVICE”

Class on period cooking and feast organization/planning to be held in two different sections, 2 different days, 2 different places.

Greetings, all!  The Southern Regional Collegium Committee has asked me to be in charge of lunch again this year.  This is a true honor that I am more than willing to step up to fulfill.  However, I want to take this one step further and I have their permission to prepare lunch as a class.  Due to the amount of work, this class will need to start long before Collegium.

Here are the details.  Please contact me off list if you are interested.  I will need to know which day(s) you are available.  After today, missives regarding this class will be sent only to those who have expressed and interest.

March 19, 20, 21
Country Rhoades Farmette
1116 South 4100 West
Ogden, Utah

Part 1 - Friday evening (03-19-10)
Initial preparation of fillings for pasties which will be served for lunch at Collegium, April 10th.

Part 2 - Saturday Morning (03-20-10)
An overview of basic feast organization, health department rules, menu planning, portion planning, and adjustment of period recipes to please the modern pallet.

Part 3 - Saturday morning (03-20-10)
History of common period dietary practices, establishment of time period and location of lunches to be prepared.

Part 4 - Saturday afternoon and into the evening (03-20-10)
Final preparation of pastie fillings (with reference to period recipes) and the making of crusts and the cooking of pasties.

Overnight lodgings will be provided for both Friday and Saturday evenings and students will be encouraged to stay over at least one night.  There is a lot of work to do and a lot of ground to cover this weekend.

Part 5 - Saturday (04-10-10)
Southern Regional Collegium
Salt Lake City, Utah
As soon as site opens
Final preparation and presentation (serving) of lunch items, including salads and desserts, with a review of history of the lunch prepared and basic health department guidelines. (material from March 19, 20)

Part 6 - Saturday (04-10-10)
Clean up.

Class size is limited to 12 students.  Handouts will be free of charge, in exchange for the hard work of accomplishing this project.  Students are encouraged to bring sharp knives, cutting boards and rolling pins.  I will have all other cooking needs, gloves, aprons, recipes.

I will also probably be organizing meals for this weekend workshop, and students will be asked to contribute to this effort.  (I haven't decided yet if I will be asking for period foods or not.)  Students may attend all or part(s) of the classes, as their schedules permit.  I will be keeping accurate records of who shows up to what, so that proper credit may be given to all students.

Looking forward to a fun and educational time!

Thank you in advance for your interest.

As Ever,

In Service,

Lady Flora of Heronton