[Artemisia] The Eleanor Dress/Sewing Skirt to Bodice Question

Linda Yordy lyordy at cableone.net
Tue Jan 5 11:26:56 CST 2010

I have a roped petticoat that I've worn with a couple of gowns.  I
love it.  It folds up enough to get in the car with it on ;-)

I'm in the process of finishing an Italian gown (1570-ish) and used
the Eleanor skirt pattern from Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion
(PoF).  The gown in PoF looks to be cut from 22-inch wide fabric
(which was usual for the time).  I cut mine in pieces of the same
shape, although with 57-inch wide fabric, I made my panels slightly
wider than 22 inches.  I cut skirt, bodice, and sleeves from a
patterned fabric so all pieces had to lay in the same direction.  I
believe I started with 6 yards, and I still ended up with a fair
amount of fabric (probably enough to cut another pair of sleeves).  I
cut a train, probably about 5-6 inches shorter than in PoF, but with
a little extra width in the panels, the circumference is probably
close to PoF.  With the rope petticoat underneath it, it hangs very
nicely on the dress form.  It has the same shape as the drawings in PoF.

A side note and question:  I tried something different this time.  I
finished the sleeves, bodice, and skirt separately then hand stitched
them together (which I've been told is a more period way of doing
it).  I like the way the skirt hangs, and the sleeves feel as though
they are less confining.  My hand work is "OK" on the skirt/bodice
attachment, but not as pretty as I would like.  Any one have any tips
for sewing skirt to bodice?

Thanks!
Muirenn