[Artemisia] Roped or "Corded" Petticoat

Linda Yordy lyordy at cableone.net
Wed Jan 6 18:33:35 CST 2010

I guess you could call it a softer version of a Spanish farthingale.
It's an underskirt that has rope sewn into channels that run parallel
to the floor, around the skirt to make it stand out.  You cut a skirt
longer than your regular length.  Starting at the bottom, fold under
a few inches and press (like you were getting  ready to hem).  In the
crease, place your rope, fold the fabric over the rope and stitch
very close to the rope (like making piping).  Crease again further up
the skirt for the second row of rope.  Continue in the same manner
until you have your petticoat corded.

You can find an illustration and instructions on The Elizabethan
Costume web site:
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/cordpett.html

The above instructions have you make your skirt in a cylindrical
tube.  For my petticoat, I actually used the Alcega farthingae
pattern and lengthened it to accommodate for the rope channels.

For that pattern, the Elizabethan Costume website is also an
excellent reference:
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/farthingale/period.html

I made mine out of white twill cloth and used piping from the home
dec section of JoAnn's.  The piping was pretty thick (1/2" I think)
and very inexpensive (especially with a 40% off coupon :-).  It was
really a tube filled with fiber/batting and some sort of sizing.
It's stiff enough to give the petticoat good support.  I did test
wash a little of the cording.  While the batting actually expanded
after washing and drying, the sizing came out and the batting was
very soft.  I'm afraid to wash my petticoat for fear the cording will
go limp.

I've heard some people have had good results with old fashioned
clothes line.  It's usually 1/4" thick and all cotton.  Do wash it
first if you plan to wash your petticoat as the cord will shrink.
You can put it in a loungerie bag (yeah, I can't spell that one) to
keep it from turning into a big knot in your washer.

I found cotton clothes line at a dollar store.  (I've also seen it at
hardware stores and places like Fred Meyer.)  I haven't tried it yet,
but it's on my list of things to do.

Muirenn