[Artemisia] Artemisia Digest, Vol 75, Issue 23

yumitori yumitori at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 17:26:51 CST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 2:23 PM, BRUCE HODESS <boruch18 at msn.com> wrote:

> Read the part where it says "You are subscribed to this list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>> From: artemisia-request at lists.gallowglass.org

Periodically I've asked that folks observe some basic Internet
courtesy while they are observing basic courtly behavior. I have been
publicly chastised for doing so, even though this mailing list is
private (i.e. not an official kingdom forum) and is mine to moderate
however I see fit. Perhaps now some of those who have taken me to task
will now see why I have made such requests.

Bruce, and everyone else, I'll remind you to ...

A. Trim your posts when quoting. We have all already received all of
these messages and only need to see the portion you are responding to
in order to put your remarks into context. This is important with any
post, but even more so when dealing with digests since excessive
quoting very quickly overwhelms your very important response.

B. Bottom post. That means to do what I'm doing here, and take the
extra second to move the default position of the cursor to below
whatever you are responding to. This incidentally helps you figure out
what to trim (remember point A?), but again places your comment in
context in a form that all of us with a basic education will
recognize; reading the flow of conversation from the top of the page
to the bottom. If you really must top post, set up a blog or Twitter
account and go to town.

These rules are as ancient and sacrosanct as those of the Laurel
Kingdoms. Show the same courtesy and chivalry towards each other
on-line as you do when at revels and feasts.

--
Ron/yumitori