[Artemisia] New book on the SCA

Vaun Stevens vstevens at missoula.lib.mt.us
Wed Jan 27 18:17:07 CST 2010

While going through a catalog of new books from Scarecrow Press, I found the following title:

Medieval Fantasy as Performance: The Society for Creative Anachronism and the Current Middle Ages. Written by Michael A. Cramer, Scarecrow Press, ISBN 978-0-8101-6995-0.  $39.95 paper, 224 pp.

The brief write-up notes that the book examines the act of medieval re-creation as performance by focusing on the SCA. It describes the group's activities and investigates our place in popular, but looking at the SCA not so much as a historical society, but as an on-going work of performance art.   The author teaches communication and theater at the City University of New York.

This could be a good book or it could be 'interesting'.

Annys