[Artemisia] Tips for safe camp food cooking - Sharing

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 00:49:41 CDT 2010

---- Original Message ----

SNIP

> Don't let things sit for too long. Longer than two hours is considered
> the danger zone if food's not kept colder than 40 degrees. The rule
> also applies to take out.

SNIP
> Another tip: keep drinks in their own cooler. It's opened more and the
> ice will melt faster. Also, with so many hands going in, don't put ice
> from the cooler in your drink.
>
> After eating contaminated food, people can develop anything from mild
> gastrointestinal symptoms to a life-threatening disease.

A handy addition to this- if you have one of the Cube coolers, 5lbs of dry ice
and 20 lbs (two bags) of regular ice make a fantastic freezer that stays
freezer-cold for two days in 90+ heat (in my personal experience).  Just adding
dry ice in general can be a good idea, but remember to keep it well wrapped up
so that it doesn't freeze and damage the cooler itself, and realize that less
than 1/5 of your total ice weight means it won't last as long nor be as cold in
the cooler, while more than 1/3 total ice weight keeps things really frozen.
You should experiment with different water ice/dry ice ratios at home BEFORE you
camp, to find the desired cold level/duration.
 Morgan

Baron Morgan Blaidd Du,
GHA(2), CQC, PCA, CCH;
Protege and Ghillie to Baron Master James Ulrich MacKellar, OL OP;
and Baroness Mistress Rachel Ashton, OP