[Artemisia] Last Minute Advice to Pyromaniacs

Cat Clark drchelm at rocks4brains.com
Sun Jun 13 13:06:23 CDT 2010

I'm leaving in a few hours for a business down in SLC tomorrow,
followed by picking up HL Ariadne, Goddess of Bloomeries and Paragon
of Wrought Iron, on Tuesday morning.  So this is my last chance to get
something off to the Aerie before Uprising starts.

If you want to come play with the bloomery furnace, be wearing all
natural fibers and/or leather.  It's a safety thing.  Natural fibers
and leather burn to ash.  Synthetic fabrics (that includes
cotton-poly, linen-poly and silk-poly blends) burn to hot sticky stuff
that will leave you with a chemical burn from molten goo stuck to your
skin.  This applies only for those pyromaniacs that want a turn at
tending the furnace, which is only when it's fired, where you feed
rock and charcoal into the top of the bloomery and also poke the
burning stuff inside the stack to prevent any bridging between the
bloom-in-the-making and the side of the furnace.  Remember the natural
fiber restriction also applies to shoes and socks.  Cotton socks and
leather shoes should be what you have on your feet.  Basically this is
the same clothing guideline that you followed if you've ever taken a
casting or welding class.  If anyone has foundry leathers, wearing
those over your clothes is an acceptable substitute (unfortunately, I
don't own any foundry leathers myself or I'd have them available to
lend).

We'll likely be making last minute supply runs on Wednesday and will
start building the bloomery on Thursday.  We intend to fire the
bloomery on Friday and do the forge refining of the bloom on Saturday.

Be there or be an equal-sided orthogonal quadralateral.

ttfn
Therasia, pyromaniac