[Artemisia] Tornado In Bronzehelm/Billings

Jacquie Ziegler shauna at bresnan.net
Mon Jun 21 12:02:59 CDT 2010

Gene Mealey wrote:
> I haven't heard from anyone in Bronzehelm - would someone from there mind sounding off and letting us know if everyone came through it ok?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Antoine

So far, all have reported in locally as being okay. Angrim apparently
has at least a partially flooded basement, but he had no power last
night to assess further. He stayed elsewhere and was going to be
checking on things today. That is the only report I have had personally
of any Shire members being impacted, beyond a very impressive show by
Mother Nature. The Metra arena was targeted by the tornado, and is being
reported this morning as destroyed. Several businesses nearby on Main
Street were either damaged or destroyed, but so far only one or two
reports of people getting slightly injured by softball-size hailstones.

Winds were estimated at 135 mph, and the airport recorded 2.24 inches of
rain in the couple of hours following the tornado itself. That is about
five times average for the month, so definitely a record-breaker. Last
recorded tornado was 1958. There was a funnel cloud in 1999 - I remember
that one! - but it didn't actually touch the ground.

Shauna
on-the-ground reporter :-)