[Artemisia] Uprising Land

Ken and Mindy Wilson kenandmindy at cableone.net
Thu Mar 18 09:41:56 CDT 2010

Greetings to all!

The days are lengthening and getting warmer, which could only mean one
thing: Uprising is approaching!

I will once again be handling allocation of land for groups. If your group
would like a specific amount of land reserved for your encampment, here's
what you need to do: First, your group needs to choose a point of contact
who will then contact me on behalf of the group. The contact person should
give me a reasonable estimate of how many people will be in the space, as
well as any special requests that the group has (placement, neighbors,
etc.). Requests will be handled on a first-come basis, so if you want to be
in a specific place you should contact me as early as possible.  Second, as
many people in your group as possible should pre-register. Over the past
several years we have been increasingly using the pre-reg numbers for groups
in determining land allocation, and those numbers will again be used to a
higher degree than last year. After pre-registration is closed, I will
compare pre-registered numbers for groups with the requests and estimate a
space. Then I will discuss the space estimation and location with the point
of contact person for the group until we've come up with a plan. There will
be a map on the uprising webpage that will show the plots as they are
allocated. Be aware that this map may change up to the start of the event.
There will be a large map at Reeve's Point for people to see where groups
are camped.

Anyone wishing to contact me on behalf of a group for land allocation may do
so off-list at kenandmindy (at) cableone (dot) com.

-Marcello

Land Allocation FAQ:

Q: I want to camp with <group>. Will you make me space with them?

A: Which groups individual people camp with is between the group and the
person. I have no authority or responsibility there.

Q: My household of 6 wants to camp as a group. We need space for 6 30'x30'
pavilions, a kitchen tent, a shower tent, an arming tent, and a common area
large enough to land a helicopter in.

A: While we are sensitive to the needs of those with elegant encampments,
our total camping space is limited. Your group will be allocated a space
which will allow a household of 6 to camp comfortably. Note that I can be
bribed with helicopter rides.

Q: I need to camp next to <group> because we share a kitchen.

A: I will try to get everyone situated next to the people they want to be
near. There are no guarantees, however. I suggest that if you absolutely
*must* camp adjacent to them, that you merge your groups for allocation and
divide up the space amongst yourselves.

Q: I'm camping with <group>, and I want my tent to be on the north edge with
the door facing the sunrise.

A: I do not handle the placement of individual persons within the groups,
that is the job of whoever is coordinating the camp for that group.

Q: I'm having 175 people camping in my group. Only 3 pre-registered. I can
have enough space for 175, right?

A: While some allowance will be made for groups with historically large
camps, the pre-registration numbers will factor higher into land allocation
this year than before. Encourage your people to pre-register!