[Artemisia] Representing Syr Dannu

vindulfr at aol.com vindulfr at aol.com
Mon Mar 29 14:16:10 CDT 2010

Normally I lurk deeply on this list, but I just had to surface when the question of something embarrassing to represent Syr Dannu came up.

Some of you can boast that you have known Syr Dannu since your first days in the SCA. I have known my little cousin Dannu since HIS first days in the SCA, and with all due respect, know more about embarrassing the lad than most of this kingdom can possibly dream.

Back in those dim days, at a demo, Dannu arranged for a pie to the face of a certain new squire's knight. Said squire warned Dannu that he would pay for that. Now, the squire was a green but strong warrior even in those days, and Dannu was expecting retribution on the field. What he got was far worse than that.

You see, the squire was also a skald of some small talent, and the next year, while attending the great Pennsic War, he began to tell tales of his cousin Dannu, beginning with the Tale of Dannu and the Jarl's Three Daughters. This earned the squire some reknown and more than a few free drinks, but more importantly, spread the name of Dannu across the Known World, generally in association with a punch line. From crowned heads to lowly men at arms, the stories about Dannu grew, giving him a reputation for low cunning and excess that was iimpossible for any mortal to live up to.

Therfore, I submit that to properly embarass Dannu, one need merely reference one of those numerous old tales about him. The original tale of the Jarl's Three Daughters centered around a beautiful white horse with a golden bridle and golden saddle, and a representation of this would do the job quite handily, especially if he has to explain it. Perhaps even something as simple as a golden bridle and saddle would make the appropriate reference. Other possibilities would include three skulls (two large and one small) or a simple scruffy, nondescript dog (faithful Woof, perhaps with a duck in his mouth).

I only regret that I would be unable to attend to personally explain the adopted (forced?) heraldry of Syr Dannu to all those who might be curious.

Yours in service,

Haakon Haukarson
titles, awards, and references available upon request