[Artemisia] Quick & Dirty Youth Armor

Sarah Natividad sarah.natividad at gmail.com
Mon May 17 19:39:52 CDT 2010

Can anyone instruct me in making cheap, quick armor for 10 year olds?
 Eduardo grew out of the wonderful helm Padruig made for him.  He's already
got a padded coif so we wouldn't have to worry about that.  I have some
"sports helms" but I'd like to modify them to make them look at least
somewhat less mundane.  I don't think I could manage some of the really
awesome helmet mods I've seen, but with a little instruction I could do
something like a leather covering or adding a crest made out of a broom.
 Are there websites that show how to do this?    He's got a nice shield that
my brother made for him, but he wants to bring a friend to an event, and
Felipe is getting old enough for youth combat too, so if anyone could tell
me how to make a quick shield I'd much appreciate it.  I've seen the ones
made of foam and they look pretty simple, but I don't know what kind of foam
it is.

Since my little squire is now 10, I think I'll have to make a gorget for him
too, yes?  What should I make it out of?  The youth combat manual says
closed-cell foam but I'm not entirely sure how to make that look like
something other than foam.  Does he also need body armor?  If so, would a
gambeson suffice?

Obrigada,
Lianor

--