[Artemisia] German Personae, something new!

Gene Smith grvsmith at wyoming.com
Sun Nov 21 19:58:40 CST 2010

Greetings Gentles (and BCC'ed mundane victims!)

I am Frideger Leopo Sturmreiter.  Since I began in the SCA, it has always been a struggle
to find good documentation about German Costumes and early period German History.

Well, my good wife, Adelheid, found an interesting television series on the German sender ZDF (2nd German TV).

The title:  Die Deutschen (I & II)
(I'm a bit confused about what happened in the first part...as it says Deutschen II where I was able to watch.)

Anyways it follows the history of the German people and land from Charlemagne and the Sachsen (ca. 970)
all the way to the Weimar Republic in 1930(ish).

The complete shows are about 43 minutes long and sorry for you German challenged they are in German and without subtitles.

However they are available in DVD at the ZDF shop, but rather pricey....ca. $99 EU

Episodes with a link:  http://xt.zdf.de/die-deutschen/

Die Deutschen Staffel I
1 - Otto and the Empire (912-973 AD)
2 - Heinrich and the Pope (1050-1106 AD)
3 - (Frederich) Barbarossa and the Lion (1122-1190 AD)
4 - Luther and the Nation (1483-1546 AD)
5 - Wallenstein and and the War (1583-1634 AD)...time to give up, it's not fun anymore
and more 10 episodes in total!

Die Deutschen Staffel II
1 - Charlemagne and the Sachsens (748-814 AD)
2 - Hildegard von Bingen and the Power of Women (1098-1179 AD)  yup she was real!
3 - Frederich the II and the Crusades (1194-1250 AD)
4 - Carl the IV and the Black Death (1316-1378 AD)
5 - Thomas Muentzer and the Farmers' War (1489-1525 AD)
and more, another 10 episodes in total!

I hope that at least some of this is as useful as some of our English favorites:
Cadfael and Pillars of the Earth.

I remain yours in service,

Frideger