[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Laura Stumpp osondrea at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 14:53:03 CDT 2010

What a great can of worms to open, Allen! I got to do a nice little research
project on the plague when I was in school, so here's a few things to think
about...
1) The plague is NOT gone! It's a bacteria that travels around and
germinates in the gut of a flea. The flea starts to starve because all the
food it eats gets used by the bacteria and the flea isn't getting anything.
This causes the flea to jump around to victim after victim biting them while
trying to feed and spreading the bacteria as it goes. A full blown case of
plague can be caused by just 50 cells of the bacteria!
2) There are actually 3 different types of the plague. 2 of them are pretty
similar in how they respond to the current antibiotics: gentamycin and
streptomycin. These two antibiotics will have about a 75-90% success rate on
two types of plague. The third type, however, is a great big problem! It's
called pneumonic plague and, as the name suggests, it infects the lungs like
pneumonia. It's also a much hardier type of plague because it survives up to
three weeks in the air and soil! Even when diagnosed very early the
antibiotics have only about a 10% success rate in treating this form of
plague. It's an extreme biohazard and any area where it is found must be
quarantined immediately for at least three weeks. That includes livestock.

Questions anyone??

Osondrea