[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Allen Hall dukealan at q.com
Fri Sep 17 23:59:21 CDT 2010

Padruig,

Very thoughtful reply, and overall, pretty on-line.  Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

To all, so now, what things grow in "your area"?  Do you have any experience in gardening?  What skills can you share?  Do you have the tools to garden, how could you make them?

I know we have folks on this list who are quite expert in animal husbandry.  What breed of sheep is best for wool?  Who can tell us about going from "sheep to shawl"?  What's the best chickens...with broodiness?

Who knows how to drive a team, and has the harness to plow, plant, and harvest?  Or even the "stuff" to do it by hand.  How do you make sure it gets water in our arid mountain climate?

I expect with all the people that sew, keeping clothed won't be too difficult, but how about shoes?

Herbalists...what herbs, etc would you grow for such a time?

Thanks to all for sharing their thoughts and skills!

Alan