[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Allen Hall dukealan at q.com
Sun Sep 19 01:18:07 CDT 2010

Hi Wulf and all,

Great comments.  Things can be right in front of us, yet we take them for granted and don't consider what they do for us...or how we could miss them when they're gone.

After pitching all that hay this summer, I got a VERY valuable insight into the work involved in cutting said hay, then moving it to storage for feeding in the winter.  A herd of cattle and/or horses would require a lot of feed to get through the typical Artemisian winter.  Got any scythes for cutting that hay, or a horse-drawn mower?  Yipes!  I don't.

We've got a lot of windmills up on the hills above town here...and all the generated electricity goes to CA.  Maybe some smart people to re-route the power to town for water, sewer and other such things...but maybe not if the plague got them.  Hmmm, passive solar?

Security would be needed for the herds of horses and cattle.  Others may want the meat or the transportation.  Recall that our medieval ancestors frequently had their livestock in the house with them.  THAT would be interesting...

In a prolonged situation, having the knowledge of medieval fighting skills would be most useful, as Wulf noted.  Heck, other folks don't even have the tools!  SCA folks generally have lots of tools for medieval defense, and some level of skills in how to use them individually and in groups.  If you haven't read the "Dies the Fire" series by SM Stirling, he discusses this in his series.  Kinda interesting, and the average SCA person finds the books fun speculation.

Robert Heinlein, one of my favorite authors said something like "revolution is only 3 meals away".  Something to consider.

Thanks for the contribution Wulf, good stuff!

Alan