[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Allen Hall dukealan at q.com
Sun Sep 19 01:24:54 CDT 2010

Kyne Wynn,

Great reply, and it sounds like you had a great childhood!  I've hoe'ed by share of gardens and fields.  Makes a person want to get an education and NEVER have to do that again!  LoL!

I got to feed chickes and milk cows by hand as well.  Squirting the cats was always fun.  Cow kicking over the bucket was less fun, and a swat in the face with the cows tail even less fun.  Educational, but not especially fun.

Our medieval ancestors were very much into food storage.  It was the difference between life and deal...every year.  Us moderns have forgotten that with the supermarket just around the corner.  Remember when every little town had it's own store?

Soap making is an important skill...ok folks, how do you make soap.

I'm seeing LOTS of classes for Uprising next year!

Who all can make flint and steel fires?  How about bow drill fires, or other methods?  Has anyone heard of a "fire piston"?

GREAT reply!

So let's continue to fill in the blanks with what us modern medieval folks can extract from the past, to make this "plague" a survivable thing.  Combining modern skills along with medieval skills is within the scope of what we can discuss.

Thanks all!

Alan