[Artemisia] Artemisia Digest, Vol 84, Issue 22

regis at inav.net regis at inav.net
Sun Sep 19 09:48:13 CDT 2010

Greetings,
The recent discussion about SCA skills that would be
useful in a catastrophic situation is something I have
long mulled over.    For me learning these skills has been
more interesting then just going to a costume party and
playing at Courtly behavior.   Before I get flamed, let me
say that those things fill a need for many of us to be
social.  Lets agree that many times the Mundane world is
tedious, unappreciative and doesn?t always recognize
individuals for achievements.   I don?t play much or have
time to go to events last few years, but I lurk around the
edges and delight in my many friends adventures and
accomplishments.   But, back to topic.
	Gardening, weapons skills,  health remedies are all
vital.   This area of the country has a long tradition of
food storage due to the memories of the hardships of the
pioneers.   I think that we should look at some of these
principles and skills and encourage relearning a few.   I
have found that if you learn and try some of these
techniques, you gain a better appreciation of the easy
life we have now.
I am currently taking lessons from a blacksmith, the first
things he is teaching me is how to make tools.  Then we
will take these tools to make more complex tools and
items.   He is willing to do some demonstrations and
classes for the SCA if there is interest.  He also can
make you those more period accessories you need.  Knives,
campfire irons, belt buckles, penanular brooches, and
such.    I want to learn these skills for my own
curiosity, but, in the scenario being discussed, being
able to make the tools, weapons or repairing them would be
very important.
Some skills I can bring to the table and am willing to
teach in the future if asked:   Silvers & Gold smithing
and base metal working,  including casting, and wire
wrapping techniques.   I can start a fire from flint and
steel and have some skills at outdoor survival.   I have
working plans for ?Mormon Handcarts? .  I am thinking that
it would make a great camp item for that period look as
well as darn practical if I have to load out my emergency
storage items and trek out to join your village.  
   I grew up on an Iowa farm, where we did lots of
gardening and had hogs, cattle, poultry, baled hay, raised
corn and so on.  I was also one of those folks that
hurried up, joined the military, got educated so I
wouldn?t have to work that way forever.   It was hard
work, but I am glad I learned those skills and values.
 Modern kids have it too easy, but that?s a whole other
discussion.
Lastly, those of us that are medicated will have a hard
time, but how many of our issues, diabetes (type 2 at
least),  High blood pressure, obesity would benefit from
honest hard work, less highly refined foods.   I know that
as I loose weight much of my problems start to disappear.
Yours in service,
Anton von Heidleberg,

Mka:  Regis Johanns

PS.  Anyone else enjoyed watching  "Frontier House"  on
PBS a few years back?  How about "The Colony" ?  These
shows made me think hard about improving my survival
skills.