[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Allen Hall dukealan at q.com
Sun Sep 19 15:49:29 CDT 2010

All,

Red is pretty close on the fire drill, but are some details that are critical. First and foremost, you want non-resinous woods for the spindle and fireboard.  Pine won't work.  Cottonwood, Aspen, willow will work pretty well.  Also the spindle is secured at the top with a socket, you'll want that to have a slight recess to hold the spindle.  A bit of some lubricant helds reduce the friction in the socket.

For those that are interested, I'd suggest getting on YouTube and search for bow drill fire making videos.  NOTHING will be better than trying it out _before_ you really, desperately need fire.  As Red said, it's much easier than a hand drill, but not as easy as flint and steel.  A bow drill creates it's own char, whereas flint and steel needs a charred material to catch the sparks.

Source materials for such things can be found in "The Books of Buckskinning" available from Scurlock Press in Texas.  Many mountain man and Native skills can be found there.  Another book that gives a good feel for the 14th Century seasonal considerations is "The Peel Affinity".  It's one of the better books for day to day things a medieval person would be interested in.  Mst. Annys gave me the book "Time Travelers Guide to Medieval England" and it too, has many good aspects of day today life in period.

Alan