[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Allen Hall dukealan at q.com
Sun Sep 19 16:00:55 CDT 2010

The Mandan Indians on the Missouri River had large earth lodges much like you describe.  Sounded like a good way to spend the winter.  Lewis and Clark wintered with them.  Earth berms homes have similar qualities.

As far as castles go, the thermal mass to hold heat is AMAZING.  Walls 10-15 feet thick have some interesting insulative qualities, as well as defensive qualities.

The southern most reaches of Artemisia has this little difficulty of no water to speak of...Maybe warmer in the winter, but a fire would still be required, and no water equals no firewood.  Of course there are places there that will work, but consider how things were during the Native American times.  What areas supported the tribes then?  It could return to that.  I know some people who look forward to the return of the buffalo.

Speaking of some of the southern reaches of Artemisia, next time you're down that way, swing in and check out Cove Fort.  It's about 80 feet square, with 18 foot high stone walls, about 4 feet wide at the base, tapering to 2 feet wide at the top.  Built to defend the pioneers down that way from possible Indian attack.  A pretty interesting structure, built by hand with native materials.

How do you make mortar for building rock/brick walls?

Alan