[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Allen Hall dukealan at q.com
Mon Sep 20 00:42:05 CDT 2010

Thanks Chad, you're right on the money.

A couple of additional comments.  I've had good luck with cottonwood for the fireboard, willow for the spindle.  I used rawhide for the string and it worked ok.  I can come up with rawhide easily enough in a survival situation.

If you don't have chapstick, just a wipe on your nose or forehead will generally get sufficient oil for the top of the spindle.  And a few grains of sand in the fireboard hole will help increase friction.  Like you said, it takes some work, but can be done completely with natural materials.  I've got a friend who's REALLY good with this stuff, and he like sage as well.  Yucca rocks from what I've heard, but haven't used it.  Having a proper notch in your fireboard is another key element.  And yes, a fireboard will last for quite a few fires.

A special "oh yeah" on the proper preparation of the tinder material.  I like to have ALL my fixin's ready before I strick a spark or get an ember going.

Another key...if you're in a fixed spot, just don't let the fire go out.  Bank it up and night, and even with our Rocky Mountain woods, you're likely to have an ember in the morning to blow back into a fire.

Alan