[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Padruig rayzentz at aim.com
Mon Sep 20 00:54:58 CDT 2010

 Just a thought here, I don't know. Cooked meat would have most of the bacteria killed. Don't know if that would be the same with fresh meat. Perhaps another thing to add to the experiment list...?

I had an old timer tell me that they would take a big can put some lard in the
bottom, then take cooked meat and put it in the lard, cover it completely with
lard, put in another piece of meat, completely cover it, etc, until the can was
full.  They'd seal up the can and it would last a LONG time.  Just take the meat
out of the lard, scrape off the extra lard, heat it up and enjoy!  I haven't
actually tried it, but apparently it works.  I wonder if it would work equally
well with fresh meat?  Thoughts?

Dr. Raymond Zentz

It is better to die a free man, than to live, a slave.