[Artemisia] Side Discussion - was SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Kristine Alvarez kristinela at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 13:43:22 CDT 2010

Someone earlier mentioned "The Colony." I've watched a few episodes from both seasons and have enjoyed the concept. Stephen King's The Stand was based on a modern plague.

My husband is not on this list and coincidentally mentioned starting a food storage just this weekend. In my opinion, this area is is great to live in because of the culture of "preparedness" espoused here. It means there are a lot of resources and companies selling products for use in case of natural/human caused disaster or disease outbreak. I grew up around much of what has been discussed however, never learned the skills myself. I think I'd be much better off stockpiling the more modern supplies for survival and hoping to trade them later for other goods/services.

The thing I'd really have a hard time with is the smells and personal cleanliness. I do agree that being involved in the SCA has probably outfitted more of us to knowing what to expect and being better prepared for what might happen.

Kristine the Killer Rabbit