[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Redhawk sca_redhawk at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 15:29:35 CDT 2010

We have solar fence chargers.  But I would still want to watch a movie.  Even if it was once a month with a group of friends.
Red

Electricity, on the other hand, is something you wouldn't want to
waste frivolously on something like running a TV/DVD/VCR/DVR for
watching a movie. Me, I'd be using it to run my CPAP (or, more
specifically, to charge the battery that runs my CPAP). I proved last
year that I can run 2 CPAPs off my battery setup for 3 nights at
Uprising, and still have charge to spare, which means that I can
probably run just mine alone for a good week before I need to
recharge. A small solar array would do to "top me off" on a daily
basis, and probably wouldn't be any bigger than 2' square.

But, what if we didn't have electricity, or the ability to generate
it? What would we do then? For me, it means going to sleep and taking
the chance that I just might not wake up in the morning, although I'm
sure that the food shortages and heightened physical demands
(exercise) would mean that the reason I have obstructive sleep apnea
would cure itself in short order. ;-)

--
Earc

Oh, and this year, I didn't wait to get back from Uprising to check my
email. I checked it on the ground, at the event, nightly. Yeah, I'm an
iPhone addict. But I can live without it. Really.