[Artemisia] A New Discussion - Cellars

Jackman-Brink, Julia Julia.Jackman-Brink at mso.umt.edu
Mon Sep 20 16:27:53 CDT 2010

Serious snippage occurring...

Earc wrote: "There's a reason root cellars and storage rooms are below
ground, folks."

Something to remember, root cellars are really only usable in certain
climates. If you dig a hole in the South, you will get water and all
sorts of natural bacteria/critters joining you.  That's why there are
more above ground cemeteries and very few basements in that region. We
don't have that kind of acidic soil or hydrology in most of
Artemisia...but it is something to be aware of. Look before you dig.
Now here in MT, Granddad's root cellar was 10 feet down and had a
timber/sod roof and we still had gophers getting in through the walls to
get the potatoes (we concreted the walls in the 70's.) It still wasn't a
guarantee against a really bitter winter either. 3-4 weeks of
subzero...stuff, just like pipes, freeze, even in a cellar. Now some
stuff, like sugar beets, you need to freeze, but that's another story.

So how many people's parents/grandparents had preserve cupboards?  Note,
very different than root cellars. Jams, jellies, home-canned fruit and
veggie goods but still underground or under the house. Another challenge
for temperature moderation. Older house foundations don't seem to have
as much issues, but modern houses basements do now. My 1919 Craftsman is
excellent for cool storage. They don't breathe as well, have windows and
are usually plumbed for heating, insulation and living space.

Fun stuff!! :)

Juliana