[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

L.J. Richards richardslj at bresnan.net
Mon Sep 20 20:25:27 CDT 2010

I've never heard of being able to keep fresh meat more than 1-2 days without
refrigeration/freezer and be safe.  I know if you have a choice between
eating fresh raw fish vs. fresh red meat, chicken and the like, or pork, you
better choose fish.  And pork is extremely short term.  It's the reason you
see dietary laws dating back  several thousand years regarding pork  It just
doesn't keep well.   But meat that is jerked, smoked, salted or pickled
works pretty well.  Of course, one needs containers....

I don't think lard would protect you from the organisms found in fresh meat
of any kind.

Bronwen of I.