[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Xplex xplex at aol.com
Tue Sep 21 16:25:36 CDT 2010

For what it's worth, my great-granny (b.1894) wrote of a similar
evaporative-cooler type contraption from her youth in Austin, TX, prior
to having an actual icebox with delivered ice:

"...seems we had sort of a stand, wrapped a white cloth all around it
with some sort of contraption sitting atop filled with water that slowly
leaked out and kept the cloth wet all the time. It sat on the porch
where the wind blowing on it cooled it."

Satya Amnesiac
PAF