[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Jackman-Brink, Julia Julia.Jackman-Brink at mso.umt.edu
Thu Sep 23 11:04:15 CDT 2010

I think another health consequence of "modern times" is frankly our diet
and lifestyle.  There wasn't prevalent and endemic health issues such as
diabetes, heart disease and cancer in the middle ages.  Sure they were
present, but the medieval lifestyle wasn't backed up with a high
sugar/low exercise couch potato lifestyle. They didn't have large
amounts of the population, including children being significantly
overweight which leads to many of the above issues.  Diets and
lifestyles were very different.

I think taken in account, after a world changing event the general
population health should improve from those known health issues. Diet
and exercise it already a regimen for modern sufferers so over the years
with a change back to an agrarian/working lifestyle things should
reverse. Sure, there will be a huge die-off of the current population
with modern health issues, but that is to be expected when a loss to
resource event happens.

Juliana