[Artemisia] SCA Modern Plague barn germs

Sondra Gibson sgibson at edulog.com
Thu Sep 23 14:22:42 CDT 2010

> Subject: [Artemisia] SCA Modern Plague barn germs
>
> When the  barn is side by side or the first floor - there is
> warmth - there
> is also  diseases that occur between animals and humans in
> that situation

 While there are some diseases that can be transmitted back and forth
between humans and animals, in this country we have decreased them quite a
lot.  If your animals are healthy and the humans are healthy, you won't have
a problem.  If either is carrying a transmissible disease, and people are
working closely with the animals, there is always a chance of transmission,
no matter where they are located.  Assuming all are healthy, I would think
that the benefits of the heat from the barn would outweigh the chance of
illness.  In our modern life it has been proven that children who are
exposed to farm life type of 'dirt' are actually healthier than children who
spend most of their time indoors in much 'cleaner' environments.  One tends
to build immunity when one is constantly exposed to low levels of bacteria.

Gefjon