[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Padruig rayzentz at aim.com
Mon Sep 27 14:30:05 CDT 2010

I researched quite a bit before doing this, and it was only as an experiment (I was the taster, didn't give it to anyone else, until after I would have felt any effects). You CAN get the temp high enough to kill botulism, but it requires a pressure cooker, and at a full 15 pounds of pressure. And, I only re-used the lids on high acid foods, in which botulism won't grow, anyway.

I store the lids in plastic sealable bags, to keep the air away. Rubber lasts a lot longer that way.

I learned to can from Ma Zentz, who used to bottle over 2500 quarts of food every season. She was a nurse, and was always careful.

Padruig

Dr. Raymond Zentz

It is better to die a free man, than to live, a slave.