[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Cadet plurcadets at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 13:13:18 CDT 2010

I would like to add to the water purification methods...

As a brewer I would like to point out that the tradition of watered wine
with meals in Europe did not get it's root in a love for alcohol, but rather
a discovery that one could safely drink wine, when drinking water would
probably result in serious illness, if not death.  A proper blending of the
two will both result in safe drinking water, and add a bit of flavoring.

For those of you opposed to drinking alcohol please realize the alcohol
percentage required to kill most bacteria is only about 3%.  So, if you have
a nice strong beer, wine or mead, mix it in with your water supply and allow
to sit for at least 5-20 minutes.  One nice thing about this method is it is
relatively easy to make beer, and to brew anything that is only 3% can be
done in a matter of a couple of days, and takes very few materials.  In fact
one can get to 3% with one cup of cane sugar/a handfull of jolly
ranchers(those of you who've been locked up might be familiar with this
method...)/chopped up bread/etc..., a couple of raisins regular bakers
yeast(or any kind of yeast, but I doubt most people have the stockpile of
the stuff that some of us brewers do)/heel of a loaf of bread/certain fruits
which have yeast in them, and the best part of this method is, it is
sustainable, reuse your yeast!

Anyway just thought I'd throw in my two cents... If your not brewing for
taste, but rather for survival, then ANYONE can do it without any real
thought, and if you're doing it for a little while, you just might find an
added benefit, and marketable skill in this post plague/apocalyptic world

Kveldulf Lohipoika.

Kody L. Allen

The only limit of a man's potential, is his belief that he can fail.