[Artemisia] Quote Question

Dori Andrepont dori.andrepont at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 16:05:06 CDT 2011

"Corn" meant "grain". (See the "Corn Laws".)

"In this usage and throughout this article, "corn" has the original meaning
of any grain, particularly wheat <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat>. In
Britain, unlike in North America<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America>,
the term "corn" retains its historical meaning of "grain" (the kernel), and
implies the primary grain crop of a country, which in Britain was wheat or
oats, rather than maize <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize> (In the
Americas <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas> "corn" means "maize"
because maize is the primary grain grown in the Americas.
Rice<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice>is the corn of
China <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China> and
India<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India>
.)."