[Artemisia] Late breaking news from Rumors of War

Gene Smith grvsmith at wyoming.com
Mon Aug 29 22:16:36 CDT 2011

Unto their serene Majesties Morgan and Esabel,
their benign Highnesses Ronan and Clare,
and the gentle populace of the Kingdom of Artemesia,

do come painful and sad greetings

from Herr Frideger Leopo Sturmreiter,
Seneschal (still?) of the Shire (that until recently was known as) Otherhill.

To begin with, let me tender my sincerest apologies for the lateness of this missive.
I only hope that the news that is contained will not bring more grief than can be borne
by your Majesties as your travel towards your upcoming 6th month anniversary.

As you know, an event was held on the 20th of August in Otherhill.

As something was afoot, I had endeavored to change the name from "Olde Farts" to "Rumors of War".

Alas and alack, the rumors of a raiding party from the Kingdom of the Outlands was indeed true!

This party consisted of Duke Olaf Bjornsson, Sir Mavriki, Baroness Kaleria, Master Gwilim and Squire Lucius, attended by
milord Ivan.

Initially only I, Frideger was available to defend the crown lands of Otherhill from the raid.
I fought against said Duke, Knight, Baroness, Pelican and Squire hoping to delay them from their dastardly plan until help had arrived.

I managed to defeat Squire Lucius...how, I do not know.
I managed to dent Master Gwilim but was defeated in the rematch.
I fell severly to her Excellency Kaleria.
I fell quickly to Sir Mavriki.
I lacked grace before His Grace, Olaf.

But I held on until Otherhill's fighters, Master Thomas and milords Ludwig and Styrr arrived.
(I regret to say that Countess Sorcha injured her ankle whilst suffering duress at news of the raid and was not able to attend.  Fortunately this also meant that they did not carry her off!)

They battled on mightly as I tried to secure the treasure from their grasping hands.

We were joined by Maghnuis and his lovely wife and children, but even their cheering was not enough to carry the day!

Yet another Thegn, Drake, arrived from Windkeep.

We were overmatched and outfought.

They beat our hide and then took it (the Wolf of Otherhill).

I then made lunch for everybody.

A great time was had, but unfortunately The Shire of Windkeep wishes that we now be addressed as
the Shire of Windkeep (West).

In all, 20 gentles attended this modestly planned event.
I shudder to think what would have happened had this raid not been planned opposite the Outlands' Stag Blood event?!

So I pray your majesties and highness and gentle people of Artemisia:

Pay heed to when your seneschal cries out "Rumors of War"!

They just might be true!

I remain your humble Servant,

Herr Frideger Leopo Sturmreiter
Senschal of Otherhill