[Artemisia] Looking for Italian Soup recipes

Vaun Stevens vstvns3 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 15:01:26 CST 2011

Here's a recipe for harissa from *Couscous and other good food from
Morocco*by Paula Wolfert.  The author has lived for many years in
Morocco and is
considered extremely knowledgeable regarding Moroccan cooking.

This makes a harissa paste

1 ounce dried red chili peppers
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons caraway seeds or 1 teaspoon caraway seeds plus 1/2 teaspoon
ground cumin and 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
salt to taste
olive oil

Cover the peppers with hot water and soak 1 hour, then drain and cut into
small pieces. Place in a mortar or spice mill and pound or grind to a puree
with the garlic and spices.  Sprinkel with a little salt, then spoon into a
jar with a tight-fitting lid and cover with a layer of olive oil.  Cover
tightly and refrigerate.