[Artemisia] Fwd: [Announcements] Newsletter Production Stipends

Chuck Heisler Jr. conradvz at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 09:19:53 CST 2011

Greetings,

I very much support and appreciate His Graces suggestion.

I would be willing if the cost to the Kingdom became burdensome (and I suspect so would the vast majority of others) to pay an extra fee, say fifty cents to a dollar more to receive a hard copy.  The extra $6 to $12 a year is still cheaper than the alternatives for many people.  If you receive other periodicals from the SCA, this price is in line with those prices if you consider that you are already funding the Kingdom newsletter through your membership.

I think that regardless of how its done, everyone should have the OPTION to receive a hardcopy as well as the ecopy of the newsletter if they choose too.  How that option is additionally funded (other than through memberships) can certainly be debated until a satisfactory answer is reached.

However, simply NOT providing the hardcopy option should not be an option.

Cvz

"This will reduce the overall stipend for mailings and production by 60%."

"OK.  I don't see any reason to totally do away with printed newsletters.  I do believe that the vast majority of folks will go with the e-newsletters.  Good for them.  I also believe that some folks will prefer the printed version.  I suspect that this will be a small group, probably no more than 20% of the sustaining members getting a newsletter now.  That being the case, the 40% the Kingdom will receive from Society will more than cover the expenses.

Cases where a household, with more than one sustaining member, received multiple copies of the Sage, will go away.  This too, will reduce costs of the production.

This seems to be something that can be easily accomplished, and works out for "both" sides of the issue (pun intended).

How's that work out for ya?

Alan"