[Artemisia] Something to say

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 02:45:22 CDT 2011

SNIPPAGE.

> > Second, calibration is perhaps the toughest, most subjective and least
> > "fair" variable a fighter has to figure out. From my experience, a LOT of
> > that has to do with what armor a fighter wears. I have worn my arm out
> > fighting against someone wearing plate, and I legitimately believe that
> > sturdy armor mixed with a little adrenaline caused them to truly not feel my
> > hits. Then my next bout is against a lightweight, quick-moving minimalist
> > wearing little more than a gambeson with a few plastic plates riveted to it
> > that takes a light sneeze from me and calls it a death blow. It’s all
> > incredibly subjective.
> >
> > No easy answers.
> >
> >MORE SNIPPAGE

Realizing that, having not fought in 5 years, and not having been what one would
consider a "top-tier" fighter even then, my opinion does not carry much weight,
I ask that you all think about what I consider to be a vital part of
calibration-

"context" when struck:
 What does that mean? It means that standing stock still waiting to be hit is a
vastly different "context" (for lack of a better word) than getting hit while in
the middle of a fight.  In my opinion, having a fighter, especially a new one,
stand still in front of a Marshal/teacher who says "this is a
light/good/excessive blow", and then deliver the specified blow, does NOT give
the fighter good calibration, since he is NEVER going to be standing still
waiting for a blow during an actual fight.  Calibration needs to be done in the
context of an active fight; i.e. he should be told that the Marshal/teacher is
going to deliver an "X" blow, and then he should be actively attacking and
defending and moving when the Marshal/teacher lands the blow.  Any blow,
actually *every* blow, feels substantially different when one is standing still
and bracing for it vs. getting hit while actively moving and defending, and the
latter is what we really need to calibrate.

Of course, I could be wrong.

 Morgan

Baron Morgan Blaidd Du,
GHA(2), CQC, PCA, CCH;
Protege and Ghillie to Baron Master James Ulrich MacKellar, OL OP;
and Baroness Mistress Rachel Ashton, OP