[Artemisia] service animals at SCA events

Cadet plurcadets at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 23:49:41 CDT 2011

Greetings,

I was going to stay out of this discussion, but the more that I read,
the more I feel that I need to put my two-cents in.

I myself am more than happy to leave the decision as to whether-or-not
I will be attending an event up to the land owner.  I have a
disability and a service animal, but there are events such as Uprising
that may-as-well have a "no-(my "type" of person)" sign posted at the
gate; I (clinically/legally) lack the capacity to remember to contact
a land-owner in regards to bringing my service animal to an event
prior to my arrival.  I will say that there are events that I choose
not to attend as a result of such requirements, in favor of "rocking
the boat" and possibly causing discomfort to others.

As a disabled person I really don't understand how to approach such
events. What am I to do if my service animal who has been trained to
deal with my episodes, is turned away at the gates?  Typically, IF I
realize there may be a problem the day before, I choose not to attend.
 Whether I'd like to or not.

 Just my thoughts and feelings,
Lord Kveldulf Lohipoika.

PS.  Out of the body of what I've written, I don't know where society
events really fall.  By my understanding SCA events are NOT entirely
private events and therefore fall under "ADA public access events
rules"; due to the fact that we allow non-members, but again I have no
desire to "rock the boat" for land owners such as Sir Allen.