[Artemisia] Fw: [arnhold] Class List for Arnhold Baronial Collegium May 21, 2011

Kerri Kennison kortland01 at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 07:16:04 CDT 2011

Greetings All,

Below please find the tentative class list for the Arnhold Baronial Collegium
being held on May 21, 2011.  Please remember a day of activities is also planned
for May 22, 2011.

http://www.baronyarnhold.org/Baronial_Collegium_2011.html

If you would like to teach a class please let us know via the Arnhold Website.
We still have room!

Archery Classes
Archery Arm Guards
Instructor:  HE Henri Porthos Olivier de Longchamp
this is a basic class to create an archery arm guard from leather.
Materials/Instruction provided.
Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
Archery In History
Instructor:  HE Henri Porthos Olivier de Longchamp
This presentation will focus on archery and its place in history; is an
informational session on Archery and how it shaped battles, cultures and the
geographic planes as well as historical timelines.
Beginning & Intermediate Thrown Weapons
Instructor:  Ld John of York
Class will introduce beginners to basic thrown weapons techniques and help
intermediate throwers better understand these techniques.  The history and
period use of thrown weapons (axe, knife and spear) will be briefly explored,
followed by a discussion of the basic mechanics of what happens when you throw a
weapon.  Students, using short pieces of broom handle, will be led through the
steps used to accurately throw each type of weapon.
This will be a hands-on class.  Minors attending need a guardian with them.
Minors under 10 years old will not be instructed.
Flemish Stringmaking
Instructor:  Ld LeRoi
In this class you will measure out and create your own bowstring using the
Flemish twist/endless loop technique.  At the end of the class you will have a
spare string for your bow!
Limit of 8      Cost of $5.
Marshalling Archery
Instructor:  Ldy Engelinne von Foxridge
In this class we will cover the basics of safety and guidelines for marshalling
target archery.  This is a great opportunity to learn a lot more about the
details and working of target archery in Artemisia.
Combat Classes
Basic Metal Shaping for Armour
Instructor:  HE Robert de Spencer, KSCA, OL
In this class we will discuss and do some hands-on work taking and creating
complex steel shapes for application in medieval armour.  We will also talk
about the tools needed and how to create those tools.
Limit of 15
Fighting Clothes
Instructor:  HG Konrad von Krixen, KSCA, OL
Students will learn various techniques to disguise SCA armour in order to
portray a time appropriate fighting silhouette.
Fighting Ranges and How to Use Them
Instructor:  HG Konrad von Krixen, KSCA, OL

A brief discussion of SCA combat fighting ranges and how to manipulate them.
So What is that Mind & Body Thing Anyway?
Instructor:  HE Wulf Sagan von Osen-See, KSCA, OP
Discussion and examples of how the mind/body connection is made and sustained
during fighting.
Cooking Classes
Redacting 15thc. Recipes
Instructor:  HE Casamira Jawjalny, OL, OP
Since the Uprising Cooking Competition will be based on two 15th c. Cookbooks,
here is a primer on how to redact recipes from the originals.  We will go over
what we take for granted today in modern recipes, and navigate through
non-standard spelling and unusual ingredient names.
Limit of 12.  The manuscript is available online for free, but hard copies will
be available for purchase in class at cost.
Sugar Work,  Modern versus Medieval
Instructor:  HE Jofior Connersdattir, OL
Guest Instructor:  Christian Baker, Professional Chef
Basic modern sugar work and its Medieval uses and background.  This class is a
foundation class on understanding sugar and how to manipulate it.
Limit of 6, age 16+
Costuming Classes
Basic Turn Shoes
Instructor:  HE Varia Goffe, OP, OL
Period shoes can be very comfy and are surprisingly easy to do!  In this class
we will discuss how to make a pattern of your own foot, and how to transfer that
into a shoe pattern.
We will also cover tools and materials, and provide you with a pattern to start
with.
Buttons, Buttonholes, & Eyelets
Instructor:  HRM Esabell Grant, OL, OP
This is an introduction to button and button and button hole options fron the
14th to the 16th century.  We will also cover my style eyelets (they are inside
out, but they work).
Bring an awl if you have one.  If you have a garment that needs a closure, bring
it and we can discuss options.
Corset Making
Instructor:  Ldy Annikka
We will be working on a period corset, discussing styles, materials and on-line
sources. The goal is to have a pattern which can be used to complete a corset
that fits you.
Please bring cloth measuring tape,  markers, appx 2 yards of scrap fabric, pins,
scissors, and needle & thread for basting.
Late Period Sleeve Styles of Puff & Slash
Instructor:  HG Reinmar Wolfmeier, KSCA
See the different styles and traits of the puff and slash look.
Pewter Belt Mounts
Instructor:  HE Giliana Attewatyr, OL
Blank belts are boring.  We have a number of belt mounts available and we'll
have leatherworking stations to decorate your belt.
Limit of 10, age 16+  Bring a belt to decorate.         $5 class fee gets you 20
mounts.
Pleating
Instructor:  Ldy Engelinne von Foxridge
Come learn how to do pleats!
Sewing Gems on Garments
Instructor:  HG Albreda Wolfkeeper, OL
Learn about sewing gems onto your clothes.
Culture Classes
Cycles of Life in the Medieval World
Instructor:  HE Leah de Spencer, KSCA, OP
In this class we will discuss the cycles that influenced the life of not only
the medieval religious, but the secular world as well. We will discuss the
medieval view of the universe, the Liturgical year, and hours of the day.   This
class gives a glimpse of the world view of all who live in European middle ages.
Daily Life in a Monastery
Instructor:  HE Leah de Spencer, KSCA, OP
This class will discuss, from both the personal point of view as well documented
quotes, what goes on in a medieval Benedictine monastery.
We will discuss why women join religious orders, the process of becoming a
Benedictine, and a look at our daily lives behind the grill. We will also
discuss religious personas in the SCA.
Herbs and Spices in a Medieval Household
Instructor:  Ldy Töregene
We will explore the world of herbs and spices and the differences between fresh
vs dried herbs.  For thousands of years, herbs have been used as scents, foods,
flavorings, medicines, disinfectants, even as currency.  We will cover a few
highlights in the history of herbals.
Shopping in the Renassaince
Instructor:  HE K. Braden von Sobernheim, OL, OP
Do you want to be a more period shopper?  We will look at various aspects of
shopping in the Renaissance (concentrating on Venice) and look at what, where,
when, how, and who in shopping through paintings, extant ledgers, and existing
structures.
Equestrian Classes
Please contact Lady Una Bjornsdattir for more information on the Equestrian
Classes.
Other Textiles Classes
Basic Hand Embroidery
Instructor:  HRH Clare de Lacy
Learn stitches and project ideas that can be done keeping your hands
productively busy at events… like in Court!
Basic Scroll Making
Instructor:  HE Varia Goffe, OP, OL
All those awards given out in court come with… scrolls!  Learn the basics of
drafting out and creating a beautiful work of art that the recipient will
treasure.
Cuttlefish Bone Pewter Casting
Instructor:  Ldy Aelin of Vordingborg
Cuttlefish bone is able to take an impression of an item for casting in pewter.
Come and learn an additional facet of pewter casting.
Limit of 8.  Age 16+ you will be working with molten metal.     Cost $2.
Enameling
Instructor:  HE Daria de Salamanc, OL
In this class we will start with the basics of enameling and undertake projects
to learn by doing.  They will be done by the end of the day for you to take
home.
Limit of 4.     Cost TBD.
Wood Block Prints
Instructor:  HG Konrad von Krixen, KSCA, OL
This class will be an introduction to medieval woodblock printmaking.  Students
will be able to design, carve, and create their own woodblocks utilizing
linoleum blocks and simple carving tools.
Limit of 8.     Cost $8 for supplies.

To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: arnhold-unsubscribe at eGroups.com

Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully
Featured