[Artemisia] Looking for a Device (Prince and Princess)

Elfwyn Starrsdottir elfwynthedane at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 19:36:21 CDT 2011

For reference, the Prince's arms are basically the Kingdom Arms with a red or white file across the top (I've seen both used). I believe the Princess' arms are the same as the Queen's, also with file.

While it is true that the Laurel head honcho decided not to register any FURTHER Heirs' or Consorts' arms, they will honor the ones that were already registered. Personally, I think this was an absolutely pointless decision on their part -- Heirs and Consorts arms are a VERY much established part of the game, and in regular use in every Kingdom and many, if not all, Principalities. Maybe we shouldn't have gotten started doing it that way, but it's about 30 years to late to do anything about it. It may not be an entirely period practice, but hey, Vikings didn't use heraldry in the same way as the later period cultures that our armory is based on, so maybe we should stop registering arms for Viking personas? Should we stop granting Counties and Duchies to those who have reigned previously if its not a period practice for a former King or Queen to get those ranks (IIRC, the most common rank for a former King is being dead, and for a former Queen is
 something like "Queen Mother", in various languages) ? The SCA has its own established culture that includes many thing that are not really period practices -- especially across different historical cultures and times -- including, essentially, our entire awards structure, and a good bit of our armory system.

YIS,
Elfwyn the Dane