[Artemisia] the "G" word

arwenmc at aol.com arwenmc at aol.com
Thu Nov 3 14:34:47 CDT 2011

Hey all,  I've been giving this subject a lot of thought lately and I thought I'd share my opinion.  Please know I'm not one of those type of people looking to be offended where offense is not intended.  I'm only looking to be informative on this particular topic.

The SCA and the mundane belly dance community sometimes intersect.  It's been very popular in both communities to have what people like to call a Gypsy persona.  Please be aware that the word Gypsy is now widely considered a pejorative term for ethnic Romani and related groups.  There are movements to reclaim the word, but it's better to err on the side of caution as a person not of that very persecuted ethnic group.  Please ask them what they prefer to be called.

Because these people have been horribly treated and still are, we should try to avoid garb that looks like a Hollywood racial stereotype, i.e. headscarf, hoop earrings, coin belt, and what not.  The romance of traveling the "Gypsy Trial" is an idealized fantasy.  If you are interested in leaning more, I'd like to recommend  Dr. Ian Hancock's book "We are the Romani People."

Thank you for your kind attention.

Esther
not one of "the people"