[Artemisia] the "G" word

arwenmc at aol.com arwenmc at aol.com
Thu Nov 3 19:27:57 CDT 2011

Dear Morgan,  Yes you are absolutely right that some families prefer the word Gypsy.  If this is their preference then by all means go for it.  My post was only pointing out that it can be a loaded word.

Dear Caspar,  I understand that the SCA has a lot of idealized fantasy around our personas;  it helps to get into a character and makes the game more fun.  What I'm trying to say is that if you are going to play a historical "may have been"
person of an ethnic group not your own, you take on certain responsibilities.  It is never acceptable to make a fantasy caricature of an ethnic group- especially a commonly persecuted one.  I'm familiar with the concept of the Modern
Traveler/Urban Nomad and also the traveling people in the British Isles.  I'm not talking about that at all.  I also know that some of the Hollywood costumes are not total fabrications and some costume elements have been found in
modern Eastern Europe.

In my post I'm asking people to be aware that there are terminology issues.  Having a Rom, Dom, Sinti, or other persona is a great thing when it is well researched and the people's culture is being treated with respect.

Esther

P.S.  I thought the foxtails worn on clothing in period were indicators that the person was a fool or jester.  I don't remember seeing any historical depictions of women wearing them on their bums like tails.  If anyone has any evidence to the
contrary, I'd be interested in listening!