[Artemisia] A pernicious notion -- was: the "G" word

Bruce Padget bapadget at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 15:36:24 CDT 2011

I confess, I don't have a horse in this specific race.  But I see an
all-to-common idea has popped up in the course of the conversation.

Morgan has it right -- if you find out a word offends someone, avoid
using it around that person.  (Exceptions can be made if there is a
need to give offense.  I rather like the definition of "gentlemen" by
which a gentlemen only gives offense intentionally and when
necessary.)  English has a very large vocabulary, and borrows very
freely from other languages.  If you can't find another word for what
you're trying to say, try harder.

But there is an idea with a great deal of modern currency:  If you
take offense, that is your problem, because you have chosen to take
offense.  (A common subspecies holds that if you take offense, you
just need to be less sensitive.)

While this notion has long bothered me, I confess I have a particular
beef with it.  A guild which I helped to found, and to which I once
had a close attachment, failed in large part due to the currency of
this notion among the guild's membership.

Every time this idea has been raised, I respond with a simple
question, which no one has even attempted to answer:  You say that if
I take offense, it's my problem, because I've chosen to react that
way.  If your words amuse, entertain, or edify me, do you accept
credit for it?  After all, the reaction to your words is my choice, is
it not?

Regards,
Niccolo
bapadget at gmail.com