[Artemisia] A pernicious notion -- was: the "G" word

Sonda Stott casperinie at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 4 16:28:52 CDT 2011

"Every time this idea has been raised, I respond with a simple
question, which no one has even attempted to answer:  You say that if
I take offense, it's my problem, because I've chosen to react that
way.  If your words amuse, entertain, or edify me, do you accept
credit for it?  After all, the reaction to your words is my choice, is
it not?

Regards,
Niccolo"

The short answer is no. I am no more responsible for your delight than your offense.

The point I'm trying to make is that if my Gypsy persona is well researched, my garb is correct, and I'm not acting offensively, yet you are still offended, then it is your choice.

If a new SCAdian is wearing bellydance garb and dancing by a fire, and you are offended by it, again it is your choice.

If I'm an old timer that knows better, still wearing bellydance garb, acting drunkly and inappropriatly, then it is my problem and you (or anyone else) will have the right to caution me. However, Gypsies are not the only ones seen acting in this manner.

I will not quit calling myself a Gypsy because someone else has assigned a different meaning to it than the correct one I portray. And Norman, Saxon, Viking or any other persona can be stated in place of Gypsy.

Casper, Zita