[Artemisia] A pernicious notion -- was: the "G" word

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 4 17:29:21 CDT 2011

REPLIES INTER-MIXED

>________________________________
>From: Bruce Padget bapadget at gmail.com
>
>I confess, I don't have a horse in this specific race.  But I see an
>all-to-common idea has popped up in the course of the conversation.
>
>Morgan has it right --

I do?  Quick, somebody bronze this post!

>if you find out a word offends someone, avoid
>using it around that person.  (Exceptions can be made if there is a
>need to give offense.  I rather like the definition of "gentlemen" by
>which a gentlemen only gives offense intentionally and when
>necessary.)  English has a very large vocabulary, and borrows very
>freely from other languages.  If you can't find another word for what
>you're trying to say, try harder.
>
>But there is an idea with a great deal of modern currency:  If you
>take offense, that is your problem, because you have chosen to take
>offense.  (A common subspecies holds that if you take offense, you
>just need to be less sensitive.)
>
>SNIP
>
>Every time this idea has been raised, I respond with a simple
>question, which no one has even attempted to answer:  You say that if
>I take offense, it's my problem, because I've chosen to react that
>way.  If your words amuse, entertain, or edify me, do you accept
>credit for it?  After all, the reaction to your words is my choice, is
>it not?

Absolutely!  'Cuz we're Americans, and taking the credit while dodging the blame is the way we do things!  Just look at our so-called "Congressional Representatives".

>Regards,
>Niccolo
>bapadget at gmail.com

replying in good humor and friendly discourse,

Morgan

Baron Morgan Blaidd Du,
GHA(2), CQC, PCA, CCH;
Protege and Ghillie to Baron Master James Ulrich MacKellar, OL OP;
and Baroness Mistress Rachel Ashton, OP